I am continuing my letterpress experimentation by creating a series of bird themed works. The next piece I hand set is The Birds. Here is a photo of the galley. I found one spelling error (A 'b' instead of a 'd'. It is easy to mix these up since everything is backwards!), but other than that it is ready to be printed. This piece was a great deal easier to set since it did not incorporate a curved margin!
February 24, 2010
February 22, 2010
Here is the final version (or at least the version I am turning in for class). I feel like "Asleep in the Poppies" is the more successful piece of the two, but there is strength in numbers! I started with thumbnails, scanned and refined those into large sketches, which were painted with gouache to reach an Art Nouveau, painterly feel. The gouache lines were scanned and used as a basis for my Illustrator drawing. Once the lines were digitized, I sparsely blocked in areas of color. The title was hand drawn and vectorized. I'm especially excited about the "Oz" bit. These two are being printed on Watercolor paper. The End! (Finished size: 16"x30")
February 21, 2010
After multiple prints, much adjusting and tightening to the type set in the galley and more printing, I got a decent print. From there a bird design was stitched into the print with embroidery floss. I may still add more detail to the bird, but for now, here are up-close views to give you an idea of the materiality.
February 18, 2010
February 12, 2010
I appreciate the dynamic projection and three-dimensional surfaces used in the 2010 Winter Olympic opening ceremony. This ceremony inspired me to think beyond traditional means of displaying design. (P.S. Love the logo!)
I think we should all take a moment and thank Mr. Gutenberg for the time and pain he put in to the craft of letterpress. I never knew how much I admired this guy, until I spent 5 hours bent over a case of 10 point Stymie Light and a galley. It wears you down, but it is rewarding to see that you've built a body of text (in reverse) with all your effort. The photo above shows 32 lines of type set against a curved piece of cedar. I am hoping to finish securing the sorts tomorrow and try a print. Stay tuned!
February 7, 2010
February 6, 2010
It is time for an illustration update! Since posting the thumbnails I have been drawing and refining the drawings for these large poster size illustrations. The stage shown above is the basic sketch with lines inked in gouache. I like the contrast of thick and thin supplied by the brush and ink, but need to refine each part so it works nicely with the whole. Next step: Color!
February 5, 2010
For an upcoming project I will be experimenting with letterpress typesetting. I have done no letterpress printing so far in my life so everything will be new. My completely cool dad has given me permission to try out these blocks, which he came across in his wanderings. I'll post results... if I can figure out the process! (The blocks above include: Rolls Royce, Greenville Country Club, FTD, Virginia Military Institute, Mack, The Greenville News, Pontiac, the South Carolina State Seal, American Legion, Pepsi-Cola and the US National League.)
February 4, 2010
I am enrolled in an illustration class this semester. I was surprised at my own enthusiasm going into my first project! Above are a few inspiration sketches. The project will consist of two illustrations depicting scenes from the Wizard of Oz. I'm looking forward to seeing how the comps and final renderings turn out. Check back for a post of the completed illustration!